Top 13 Family Fun Winter Break Activities
- MUSEUM FUN! The Manitoba Museum features Pyjama Days, Dec. 26 to Jan. 3, 10 am to 5 pm. Celebrate all things winter at the Manitoba Museum this holiday season! Bring along your family and friends to complete our Spot the Snowman scavenger hunt and watch cool-as-ice science demonstration in our Auditorium! Join us for a rare look at the Nonsuch cargo hold while experiencing the sights, sounds, and stories of our Nonsuch Gallery. Don't get left out in the cold - enjoy a Planetarium show (or two!) in Manitoba's largest full-dome theatre. Premiering December 26, our newest Planetarium show, Beyond the Sun, follows young Celeste as she journeys through the universe with her guide, Moon, seeking rogue planets, oceanic worlds and super-Earths. Wear your favourite pair of cozy pyjamas to the Museum for a chance to win a brrr-illiant prize pack that includes a year-long Family Membership! Complete the scavenger hunt for a second chance to win.
The Manitoba Children' Museum offers daily theme-based fun in the galleries throughout Winter Break and you can visit the Eaton's Holiday Vignettes...the adorable moving display of fairy tale fun! Join us from 11:00AM to 1:00PM on December 31 as we ring in the New Year at the Children's Museum! The party starts with you, dressed to impress in your fanciest formal wear - we'll supply the top hats and tiaras to help you look spectacular for the occasion. Once your family looks super stylish, step in line, for a souvenir photograph taken by Pixels & Giggles. At noon, make a ginger ale toast and enjoy tasty snacks from A Little Pizza Heaven and a festive balloon drop. Special musical guests, The Solutions, will be playing family-friendly tunes and activities will round out the daytime celebrations.
Dalnavert Museum hosts a Teddy Bear Tea on Dec 10, 11, 17 & 18, 12:30-2:30pm or 3:00-5:00pm. After a fun game exploring the house, join us for a teddy bear picnic in the attic. Bring a stuffed friend for some lemonade and cookies before taking part in a Victorian-themed craft. Teddy Bear Tea Party, aimed at kids aged 6-12, wraps up with a festive story.
- WINTER WONDERLAND; Get outside and build a snowman or snow fort as a family. Take a family winter walk! Head to your local park or community centre with toboggan slides and skating rinks. Don't forget the hot chocolate and healthy snacks!
- MOVIE TIME: Put on a classic movie from Mom and/or Dad's childhood and watch it together. Kids love to hear all about when Mom and Dad were little and what their favourite things were.
- INDOOR PICNIC: Laugh in the face of 30 below weather! Everyone gets to wear shorts, bathing suits and eat summer foods on picnic blanket in the living room. Watch a summer themed movie too!
- INDOOR CAMPING. Kids love to pretend they are camping. Pack them up as if they were really going out on a camping trip and set up a tent in the basement or living room. Play board games and have fun without electricity. Make a picnic meal and sleep in the tent overnight.
- FAMILY ENTERTAINMENT: MTYP presents A Charlie Brown Double Bill @MTYP at the Forks, December 2-23 and Royal Winnipeg Ballet presents their classic Nutcracker at Centennial Concert Hall Dec 21-28. Love hockey? You can take the family to a Jets, Moose or Ice game and cheer on our local teams!
- HOMEMADE GIFTS: Think holiday season and make lists of gift ideas together. Get shopping done early before stores get crowded. Why not bake homemade gifts this year? Get the whole family involved in the project.
- SKI & SNOWBOARD: Learn to ski or snowboard at Springhill or Holiday Mountain. It is a great opportunity for a day of family fun.
- SCAVENGER HUNT: Plan a scavenger hunt in your home. Hide notes throughout the house to lead the kids to a surprise treat at the end of the hunt.
- BETTER TO GIVE: Have the kids go through their toys and clothes to see what they have outgrown and could donate to a charity. Charity begins at home and even the youngest children can learn that caring for others and helping those in need is so important.
- PUZZLE FUN: Set up a table and start on a family puzzle. It's a great way to teach patience, persistence and enjoy quality family time together.
- LIBRARY ADVENTURES: A place filled with adventure after adventure for every member of the family. Call your local branch for special Winter Break activities or head downtown to the Main branch for an exciting library experience. Magazines, videos, books on tape and more are available to check out with your FREE library card;
- Visit different neighbourhoods to see the holiday light displays. Check out this map for ideas on areas to visit.
Winnipeg Parent's Unique Holiday Gift Ideas
Top 13 Family Fun Winter Break Activities
9 Tips to Save on Holiday Shopping
Perseverance Prompts Potential
What's In Store for the Holidays?
Why Parents Must Keep Kids Cyber Safe
Pediatrician-Approved Tips to Conquer Winter Travel with Little Ones
To the top